Workspaces wasting memory

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Tue May 26 19:12:55 UTC 1998

>To reclaim image space open the System Transcript from the open menu (the same
>one you
>use to open browsers). The System Transcript has been loaded with lots of
>helpful bits
>of code. There are several that have to do with image space management. They
>are listed
>under the heading HouseCleaning.
>
>Undeclared inspect.
>Smalltalk cleanOutUndeclared.
>(Object classPool at: #DependentsFields) inspect.
>Smalltalk reclaimDependents.
>Symbol rehash.
>Transcript clear.
>Smalltalk forgetDoIts.
>

>I use these a lot because I am hacking at porting code and I don't have much
>of a clue
>as to what I am doing.

F.Y.I...

1.  I think you mean the System Workspace.

2.  We eliminated the System Workspace in Squeak 2.0, in favor of the 'do...' editable menu.

3.  You will find a lot of such handy expressions in SystemDictionary
	under the category 'housekeeping'.  You may also find
	printSpaceAnalysis (in 'shrinking') useful.

	- Dan