Smalltalk-80 tape

Maloney johnm at wdi.disney.com
Mon May 4 21:55:47 UTC 1998

>At 10:49 AM 5/4/98 am, Stephen Travis Pope wrote:
>>
>>> We've moved office last month and, during the packaging, we've found a
>>> QIC tape labeled: "Smalltalk-80 Version 2.4 for Sun 386i Workstation,
>>> Distribution Set 2/A."  Does it worth anything ?
>>
>>Adding to Glenn Krasner's "bit of history," the tape you have is a ParcPlace
>>v2.4 release. It's not worth anything special,
>
>I'm obliged to point out that it is still protected by (now) ObjectShare
>copyright, so the code in it can't be used willy-nilly. There are portions
>of that code which we still want to protect, and there is a lot of that
>code that is already available and other portions we'd be willing to make
>available when we get cycles to deal with Sam's request.

Too bad it isn't a v2.3 tape. Correct me if I'm wrong, Glenn, but
I believe Adele said at OOPSLA that she was making the entire 2.3
image available for free. That would mean you could take methods
and classes out of a 2.3 image and port them to Squeak without
being requiring to own an ObjectShare license. The same is NOT
true of later versions of the ParcPlace/ObjectShare image.

	-- John