Low-end Squeak Experiment

Helge Horch hhorch at wuerzburg.netsurf.de
Sun May 31 02:33:22 UTC 1998

[I wrote this a week ago, but the list wouldn't let me post it. Obviously
solved.]

Hi all,

This afternoon I have - just for the fun of it - tried to generate a Squeak
for low-end Macs. Well, I wouldn't call it a success yet. :-)

I have a Powerbook-100 (16MHz 68000 4MB) and a Mac SE with a Railgun card
(20?MHz 68030 4MB) sitting here, both executing - at post-glacial resp.
slightly-annoying speed - a majorShrinked version of 1.31. I had to massage
the VM sources quite a bit, since the ancient systems 7.1 and 7.0t don't
know about all the modern stuff. Plus, I had to use MPW 3.2 to do it. (*On*
the Powerbook. Sigh.)

Now for my question: Since neither machine knows Color-Quickdraw, I had to
throw out the PixMap and ColorTable stuff and replaced it with BitMaps.
(The shrunken image was saved by a helpful NT machine in 1-bit display
mode.) It *does* come up okay on both machines, *but*

1) it won't collapse nor expand windows, (just go asleep for awhile)
2) it won't open new windows (see 1), although it
3) will close windows just perfectly.

I know this isn't the main (or even the remote) direction Squeak is moving,
but I'd appreciate any hints on where I failed to see the obvious. Since
I'm not sure whether this is a topic of general interest, I'd suggest
direct mail, but I'm also reading the list of course.

Nice weekend, everybody,
Helge
--
              "Ich habe fertig." -- G. T.