Updates 'R' Us on Win95

Mark Wai mwai at ibm.net
Tue May 26 18:37:13 UTC 1998

At 09:17 PM 5/25/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Folks -
>
>Well, you have heard about automatic code updates in Squeak 2.0.  Now is
your chance to try them out.  If you are connected to the Internet, all you
should have to do is:

>	Start with a reasonably clean copy of 2.0,
>	choose 'help...' from the screen menu, and
>	then choose 'update code from server' in the next menu.

It works wonderfully smooth except one very very minor error that I
encountered under Win95 (BTW, I thought that it would be nicer if there is
only one progress bar so that I know where my overall progress are and how
much longer I have to wait.).  I have tried all the permutation of scenarios:

-  every time I use the automatic code udpates, then so some stuffs in
Squeak, intentionally quit Squeak *without* saving image using the system
menu (i.e. double click the top left hand corner of the window), a general
protection fault error will come up.  However, this would *not* happen if I
did not use the automatic code updates to download the code prior quiting
Squeak or if I use Squeak menu to quit Squeak (instead of system menu).  I
have no idea why this is happening.

It might be only me.  But let me again list the scenario here:

Under Win95, bring up a clean image, perform auto code updates, double click
the top left hand corner of Squeak window and quite without save.  You
should then see this GPF error.

--
Mark Wai
Frontier Systems Architecture Inc.