[sqh] How close is SmallTalk Express to Squeak syntactically?

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Mon Nov 23 18:49:52 UTC 1998

Squeak and StExpress are _very_ close syntactically. The differences
will primarily be in method and class names, but they should be
reasonably straightforward to translate. I'm not sure about his coverage
of the WindowBuilder portion of StExpress, but that will be totally
different from Squeak (of course, the original Smalltalk/V gui classes
were totally different also).

You might find it useful to download the StExpress documentation from
ObjectShare -- the old Digitalk tutorials were some of the best for
getting started in Smalltalk and should be reasonably applicable to
Squeak.

http://www.objectshare.com/se/seinfo.htm#sedownload

If you haven't taken a look at the Wolfgang Kreutzer's getting started
tutorial on Squeak, I would recommend it:

http://kaka.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~wolfgang/cosc205/smalltalk1.html

-- Dwight