Interesting :-) article and whitepaper on Open Source Software

Greg & Cindy Gritton gritton at pop5.ibm.net
Sun Nov 8 07:24:46 UTC 1998

At 11:53 AM 11/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
>FUD, techo-hijacking, NIH syndrome... Is it just me or
>does it seem that Microsoft is the IBM of the 90's?  (And
>wouldn't *that* get Billg's boxers in a bunch if he heard it?
>Of course, he never will - his handlers won't allow it :-).
>
>Bob Jarvis
>The Timken Company

I don't know if I would equate Microsoft completly with IBM.
IBM was known for high-quality, very expensive products
with top-notch support.  Microsoft is known for moderate
(many say low) quality products, moderate prices, and
mediocre support.  They both achieved a (near-)monopoly, but
using very different means.

Greg Gritton