Squeak 2.3 beta available

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Thu Nov 26 01:47:38 UTC 1998

Folks -

I have just stored a beta version of Squeak 2.3 out on the UIUC server:
	ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/

A few things to note:
This image will want a new VM, although it should run on an old VM if you don't use any of the new pluggable primitives (it may crash if you try).

The Mac VM supplied is FAT (will run on 68K machines), but pluggable primitives will fail on the 68K (they should run in Squeak, though).  We will complete the 68K section in due time.

The image and changes are there as of this msg.  The Mac VM (and a compact archive for Macs) should appear in a few hours.

There are some awesome new capabilities in this version of Squeak.  I'll send out a complete message in the next day or two, and perhaps Andreas will as well (he is responsible for Balloon, the awesome new graphics engine, as well as the considerable interface support surrounding it).

[Andreas:  Can you send out a brief message pointing folks at some flash files to try, and any other things you might want to suggest for people to try (like the TrueType access or the lightning-fast FFT).  Also, if you have a VM for 2.3, where can people find it?  Thanks in advance]

Enjoy
	- Dan