Anyone using alternative input devices with Squeak?

Michael S. Klein mklein at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Nov 8 00:17:53 UTC 1998

I am using a Twiddler.

	http://www.HandyKey.com/

I am still on the steep part of the learning curve, but it is a lot
easier to use than one might imagine (I thought it would be extremely
difficult). Anybody who is interested in this stuff should definately
check out the stuff by Thad Starner and Steve Mann. (You can find them
through the Handeykey testimonials link).  There was also an article
in Scientific American:

	http://www.sciam.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=Starner&searchby=strict&groupby=confidence&docs=25

(The main article is on Smart Rooms... )

> Down sides - one manufacturer, $199 bucks a piece, and it's a mail
> order thing, so I don't see how one can try it yourself.

There is another one like it (more home-brewish):

	http://www.mbhs.edu/~ojenkins/wearable/fiddler.html

You can see a more complete list at:

	http://wearables.ml.org/hardwear.html

One of the things that is poorly thought out on the twiddler is the key map.
It is layed out alphabeticly.  They claim this 'design' has no handedness
preference.  Yeah, no shit!  Alphabetic layouts are pathetic.  I refuse
to train myself on that layout.  (Anybody out there use a key-tronic?)

Alan Kay wrote:

> His instance of the theory was to have a five finger "chord" keyboard for
> the nonmouse hand.

I have two primary input modes using traditional mouse/keyboard:
A) Normal two-handed typing
B) Left-hand in ordinary typing position, but with thumb ready for
   command/modifier key gestures, and right hand on (3-button) mouse.

While in mode (B), I edit using command keys (cut/copy/paste), drag & drop
and perform functions using doIt (CMD-D).  I only use printIt (CMD-P)
whilst in mode (A).  Herein lies the rub: inspectIt (CMD-I) is not tenable
in mode (B), and is not usefull in mode (A) because the RealEstateAgent
sucks big time, and window placement requires the mouse.

Solution:

I have a message, #edit, that when sent to an object, brings up something
generally more usefull than an Inspector.  For a MethodReference or a Class,
this would be a browser, for a String this would be a
Workspace, for a Form this would be
a FormEditor, for a Collection this would be a sequence view, etc.
Of course Object implements edit as inspect.

(CMD-E) does an editIt, and away you go.  Working this way in VisualWorks
allows me to drive the UI about twice as fast as without these changes
(on a system with point-to-focus, click doesn't raise window).
It still is nice to use this in Squeak, unfortunately, because Squeak's
windows still raise on click, the win isn't quite as big.

To you UI wanabes out there:

Read:
	TOG on Interface, Tognazzini
	Designing the User Interface, Schneiderman
	Design of Everyday Things, Norman

Notice:
	While driving the UI, little shifts in your focus... these cost!
	Other people using your interfaces...encourage them to gripe
	Violations in your expectations... especially small ones.

Best trick to *really* learn how to do UI stuff:
	Stop using *all* other environments other than your primary one.
	This includes Netscape and the Finder/File Manager.
	It is OK to call-out to other
	programs, but do not use their UI's.  Do this for 3 monthes.  If
	you don't go back... you will have learned. (And Squeak will be
	better)

Cheers,
	Michael Klein

mklein at alumni.caltech.edu