Results of proposal to create squeak-help list...

Joe Davison jwdavison at lucent.com
Tue Nov 10 20:53:47 UTC 1998

Ralph Johnson said:
> Since we run the squeak list, I asked John Brant about setting
> up the squeak-help list.  He said that he doesn't know how to
> put a prefix like [sqh] on the front of every subject, and that
> he could break down and learn procmail hacking and do it, but
> that becoming a procmail hacker was low on his list of life goals.
>
> In fact, I'm not sure what the purpose of the voting was.  There
> is not group in charge, so there is nobody to act in behalf of the
> electorate.  If you think something should be done, just do it!
> If you set up a sqeak-help list, I'm sure that the people who own
> the Squeak home page would put a pointer to it there.

I suppose someone has asked the obvious?  Why does the help list need to be
a mailinglist?  Would not comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak be more effective?
Voting would even make sense, then...

I understand why developers prefer a mailinglist, but for help a newsgroup
seems more appropriate -- plus, it gets archived on dejanews "for free?"
and people can review previous questions...

joe