some not-so-random questions

Michael S. Klein mklein at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Nov 5 02:09:29 UTC 1998

> Yesterday I did a quick hack on Unix (HP-UX) to use mmap instead of
> allocating memory
> by malloc. It seems to work very well. I can start squeak with 300 MByte
> and
> it comes up very quickly. What's interesting is that "top" shows only
> the Megabytes
> actually used. So mmap seems to use a "lazy" mechanism  on HP-UX.

I heard that VW uses mmap with copy-on-write so that if you start the
same image multiple times, you only pay the image memory cost once.
(Is this true, Elliot?)
I suppose that this could work for Squeak also.  You would want to make
sure that the byte sex got written out to the image the same as your
platforms, otherwise you'd have to pay that cost too.

-- MIke