The Message and the Morphs [was: Where can I get some etoys?]

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Thu Nov 5 06:44:53 UTC 1998

In a message dated 11/4/98 9:03:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, arning at charm.net
writes:

<< I, too, enjoyed the car demo and demonstrated it to a fellow squeaker a few
days later at work.  >>

Being the "demonstratee," I have to admit that the Morphic material is quite
impressive. And I have been touching this stuff in a modest way for over a
year now. However, many of us in outer Squeakdom are seldom able to "grok it
in its fullness." Not having seen Alan's demo (and I am among the first to
come out with jazzy stories about 'Alan's talk at Xyz in '06,' etc.), I can
only imagine how much it conveyed "the message." Unfortunately, much of what
we have seen through Squeak offerings are the tools without the "mechanic"
being present, and we are only guessing at the "message."

I have gone back and printed out some of the relevant Morphic background (Self
4.0 as an example), and I would have to say that I think that the Disney guys
have been stomping out some new ground for us to follow--going beyond some of
the earlier morphic conception.

Hopefully, Dan's comments about making some of Alan's PowerBook available in
2.3 (I hope I'm not over-selling this, Dan), is right on track. Giving us the
tools AND the message might enable some of us to contribute a bit more.

For my own interest, I would like to see some "morphs" which have software
engineering application. I.e., gadgets presenting a simple slice of
programming (design, software engineering) reality, which can be combined into
more complex and powerful presentor's of program knowledge.

Jerry.