some not-so-random questions

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Mon Nov 2 17:07:16 UTC 1998

> First, what is the latest and "official" version of the Win32 port of the VM? My
> first download of Squeak 2.2 (as a complete zip archive) included a VM called
> "SqueakBeta.exe."

As the name says, this was a beta version ;-)

> Then I got a distribution whose VM binaries are "Squeak.exe"
> and the jitter version, "SqueakJ.exe" Then while browsing the Swikis this
> morning, I saw a notice that Squeak for Win32 was going back to a single VM.

Where did you read this?! I haven't seen nor stated it. Even though the
Jitter VM is not as stable as the interpreter VM and hopefully to be
replaced soon by Jitter II (Ian, how's going?!) it is still supported on
most systems.

> Second, does anybody have any suggestions for optimizing Squeak running on a
> 90Mhz pentium laptop with 8M ram? Some operations (and morhpic in general) bog
> the system down. I thought perhaps the vm has options to control initial memory
> allocation, or some such things.

I doubt it - running Morphic on a 90Mhz Pentium is a hard thing to do
(but I'm a hero - I've been running Morphic on a DX2/66 ;-))
It's even harder if you have only 8MB of RAM. But if you want to try then
start Squeak with

   Squeak -memory: NN Squeak2.2.image

where NN is number of MB of memory to use (note the space before NN).

> Thanks!

You're welcome,

  Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+