morphic scripting

Ryan Davis zss at ZenSpider.com
Tue Nov 10 05:12:53 UTC 1998

[major snip]

>Thanks for your interest in our early experiments in morphic scripting.
>Obviously, this work is in a preliminary state; it does a few things well
>and many other things not-so-well or not-at-all.  At the moment, it's much
>more suited for the presentation of suggestive demos in the hands of
>people who already know precisely what they're doing, and not really
>well-suited at all to the true novice user, nor to the accomplished
>Smalltalk programmer who wants to be able to remain in complete control of
>everything.  As time goes on, we intend to evolve this facility outward in
>both of these directions.

Very cool. Thanks for the very complete reply... Yes collision detection
would be very nice. I will soon require something more complete than the
current facilities allow (detecting one color only, or based on color
alone, is not sufficient for a 9 year old (for more than 10 minutes)).

The demo/doc was very easy to go through and helped a lot. W/O it, I have
simply been avoiding morphic... (and downloading very boring ports of logo
for the mac). I assume that a couple more features and I can do everything
_I_ can think  of that a 9 yo would want initially... Noises, color, custom
graphics, movement and interaction. If I can get collision detection (incl.
knowledge of WHAT I touched), and possibly a more complete physics model
(mass and velocity!!!), I can rock this kid's world...

           Ryan Davis         -=-    Zen Spider Software
 -=- mailto:zss at ZenSpider.com -=- http://www.ZenSpider.com/ -=-
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but,
I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.