AE/interProcess (was: Examples of API)

michal starke Michal.Starke at lettres.unige.ch
Wed Nov 11 19:02:07 UTC 1998

> Anyway SCENE depended heavily on a couple of available technologies:
>
> 3. Interaction with external (non-Smalltalk) processes. (It is this need
> that I am having trouble seeing how to accomplish in Squeak.)
>
> 3. was critical to SCENE. [...] To implement this (Unix versions only)
> we actually wrote AppleEvents for Unix to handle the event interchange.)

couldn't you just add primitives for AppleEvents using the new pluggable
primitives framework? (ie. AE call wrappers essentially). sounds like
peanuts wrt the work you already did reimplementing the whole AE framework
on unix. or am i missing something?

[and have AE/interprocessComm would be a big + for many other uses in squeak!]

michal