auto update & random comments

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Thu Nov 5 18:33:24 UTC 1998

Thomas,

> Discovered the auto-update feature by reading this discussion group. Cool.
> (Patience is required; eventually, it finishes. This is not a complaint, just
> a newbie observation on the situation of watching the screen, wondering
> "what's it doing?")

You should open a Transcript before doing the updates. A couple of
messages will appear there and you see what's actually going on.

> One question: what did it update? (I'm running 2.2)

Use a ChangeSorter to view the updates. They're numbered and the last n (n
is the number from "n new updates loaded") contain the stuff that's new.

> Unfortunately, that's about as far as I've gotten (although, I can make a new
> window, and change its background color, in Dolphin Smalltalk). Pretty good
> for a 43 year old pc-phobe who just got his first computer in March, huh?

Not to bad ;-) Try playing with Morphic - it's a lot of fun.

  Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+