PROPOSAL: create the squeak-help list

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Wed Nov 4 22:34:41 UTC 1998

I would like to semiformally propose that we create the squeak-help
list.

This list would be for how-to questions about Squeak and its environment
("how do I turn the sound off?", "how do I get a list of all the
classes?", "how do I store something in a file?",...); for learning how
to start programming in Squeak/Smalltalk; for "why doesn't this code
work?" questions; and the like.

A few reasons for a squeak-help list:

(1) The advanced topics often discussed in the Squeak list can be a
rather overwhelming to those just learning Smalltalk/Squeak.

(2) Those who know Smalltalk but are new to Squeak may be embarrassed to
ask simple "stupid" questions that they need answers to.

(3) The shear volume of email to the list can bury simple questions for
help, which may never get answered.

(4) Newbies may just not feel comfortable discussing simple basic
problems when everyone else on the list is splitting quarks.

(5) With the upcoming version 2.3, I expect the level of discussion to
get even more advanced (and that the email volume will increase):
pluggable primitives, weak arrays and finalization, 2-D
device-independent anti-aliasing vector graphics, ....

(6) The number of newbies coming to Squeak through things like the
Pluggable Web Server and through Squeak becoming more and more widely
known on the net seems to be increasing -- it would be good for them to
have a forum that more directly addresses their needs.

If you would like to see such a list created, DO NOT REPLY TO THE SQUEAK
LIST - email ME directly at mailto:dwighth at ipa.net and I will tally the
setting up this list: I do not have any webserver resources available to
me -- this will probably fall to John Brant, should he be willing.
However, I might be persuaded to compile a Squeak FAQ as my
contribution.

-- Dwight