Bug: disableSounds preference spontaniously becomes false

William O. Dargel wDargel at shoshana.com
Wed Nov 18 17:11:17 UTC 1998

Andreas Raab wrote:

> The problem is that the sound start prim on Unix system doesn't fail, even
> though sound is not supported. Ian put this in to avoid the annoying
> walkbacks but it will probably be fixed with the next release. For now,
> you could just comment out the sound start prim in SoundPlayer class
> (e.g., in primSoundStartBufferSize:...)

I don't know how you're planning to fix this so I thought I'd put in my 2
cents.

>From a user perspective, I might want to disable sounds via the preferences,
irrespective of whether sounds work on my system or not. So I'd change
#startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo: to simply return if sounds were
disabled rather forcing the disable flag to be false. Maybe the problem is
that the meaning of #disableSounds is being overloaded? It seems to be getting
used in this context as "are sounds *possible*?" as compared to "should sounds
be disabled?".

Bill Dargel            wdargel at shoshana.com
Shoshana Technologies
100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA