But what about Flash? (Re: Toward the next release...)

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Wed Nov 4 16:18:39 UTC 1998

<x-rich>"Mike Wirth" <<wirth at almaden.ibm.com> wrote...

>What about Flash?  There was a tantalizing hint in your msg before
OOPSLA

>(which I missed again; sigh...) but nothing in your msg about the
next

>release.  Or is that technology related to "Andreas Raab's

>as-yet-to-be-named resolution-independent outline-based anti-aliasing
2-D

>rendering engine"?  I dearly hope so.  It would be wonderful to get
that

>technology into Squeak.

>Story for the uninitiated:

>  . . .

>What's the news, Dan?

Mike -

In case my earlier message, and Andreas's response to this one didn't
make it clear, the new graphics engine will be the MAIN focus of
release 2.3.

We plan to assemble it, along with as many ways to play with it as
possible, and get it out by Thanksgiving.  This will include the
ability to read most Flash files, to answer that fork of your question.
  Then, for the next couple of months, everyone can take part in shaking
it down and suggesting improvements, while we try to figure out for
ourselves the best way to merge this with morphic, and the rest of
Squeak graphics, including fonts and text display.

This stuff is going to be FUN!

	- Dan

P.S.  For those of you who didn't make it to OOPSLA, Jeff Sutherland
assembled some pretty complete notes from the Squeak Birds-of-a-Feather
session.  they can be viewed at

	http://jeffsutherland.org/oopsla98/squeak98.html

</x-rich>