Examples of API

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Thu Nov 12 19:31:25 UTC 1998

Lex,

> Right now, neither external processes or Unix pipes are directly
> supported in Squeak.  It's also unlikely that such platform-specific
> features will ever end up in the core system.  However, it would still
> be nice to have, as an add-on.

That's exactly what I've been aiming at with the pluggable primitives.
Just go on, write the prims you need and provide them as a shared library.
So nobody outside the Unix world will be bothered by having stuff in the
VM they don't really need and you can still have all your nice little
goodies. BTW, writing the above stuff is not so different from the socket
implementation - you could probably borrow a lot from there.

  Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+