some not-so-random questions

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Mon Nov 2 18:12:34 UTC 1998

Steve,

> Years ago I worked on a 386 with 16MB running OS/2 developing in
> Smalltalk/V PM and it really wasn't too bad.  But I love the
> technology we have available today.

You can run Squeak on such a system - it's just Morphic that likes a bit
more processing power (but that is entirely understandable from my point
of view).

> I have a question about the memory argument for Squeak that you show
> above.  Wait, I have 2:
>   1) Is that only for the Win versions of Squeak?

No. There's three more of them:

* -headless
   Tells Squeak to run without a main window. However, for allowing
   at least some access to Squeak, an icon is added to the system tray.
   If you double-click this icon, the Squeak window will show up again.

* -log: logName
   Use the named file as log file for VM messages.

* -service: serviceName
   Install Squeak as Windows NT service. You will be asked for a couple
   of things such as if to start the service on system startup or if
   to run the service right now. You can modify these settings in
   the service control panel.

   NOTE: You MUST give the entire command line as if you want to run
         the image immediately. The installation process will add a
         few registry settings to determine the command line during
         system start up.
  Example: Squeak -memory: 4 -log: C:\VM.log -service: "Squeak Sample Service" C:\Swiki\Server.image

  The "-service:" switch is fully supported on Win95 but has a little
  non-standard behavior. Squeak will show up in the system tray (just as
  when running -headless) because there is no such thing as a service
  control panel within Win95. If you want to remove a service from a Win95
  system you'll have to remove the entry in the registry at

>   2) What is the default memory allocation then, if none is specified
> explicitly?

16 MB - that's an average choice between common memory sizes and the
amount of memory you need to have fun with the system. Oh, but don't
expect Squeak to physically use the amount of memory - we're on Windows,
we *do* have dynamic virtual memory management ;-)=)

  Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+