Anyone using alternative input devices with Squeak?

Carl E Gundel carlg at world.std.com
Sat Nov 7 15:19:40 UTC 1998

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Alan Kay wrote:
> In the early Dynabook design, Engelbart's idea was adapted to a pen-based
> interface. RAND had done GRAIL, a really great pen-based system with a
> recognizer similar in spirit to and better than Grafitti. We realized from
> experience with Engelbart that even a perfect recognizer (which GRAIL
> almost was) was still too slow for some interactions, so I put a keyboard
> on the Dynabook model. Again the scheme was to navigate, give commands, fix
> typos, and do short text inputs with the pen, and then to switch to the
> keyboard for intensive text entry.
>
> This scheme was argued for the Newton and rejected (not on logical grounds).

Alan,

What makes GRAIL unique?  I understand that the Newton OS 2.0 does come
with a character by character recognizer.  Do you know where this came
from.  I read someplace on the web that is was from Xerox.

Carl
 Carl Gundel  carlg at world.std.com  Shoptalk Systems  508-872-5315
 author of Liberty BASIC, a 1996 PC Magazine Awards Finalist!
 http://world.std.com/~carlg/basic.html