Squeak licensing questions

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 25 19:22:51 UTC 1998

>2. Are all the add-ons included in the Squeak distribution (like the
>pluggable web server) under the same license?

I know probably less than most about copyright laws and intellectual
property issues.  But I can tell you something about the PWS licensing.

I knew enough about the issues that I knew I needed to get permission from
the University before the PWS went out with Squeak. So, I hunted up the
University lawyers. I made the case that releasing PWS was good PR for
Georgia Tech, and that PWS had little commercial value itself (re: recent
thread on PWS vs. Apache).

What the University lawyers agreed to was that (a) Tech retains ownership
of PWS (which Dan and the Team agreed could go in a class comment) but (b)
Tech gives anyone the right to use/modify/extend it.  I don't know how this
compares to any other kinds of licensing terms, but it clearly doesn't
limit any use of PWS.

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu