Squeak for embedded systems (remote debugging and image building)

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Wed Nov 25 23:24:36 UTC 1998

At 11/25/98 10:30:56 AM EST, pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com writes:
<<I'm exploring the idea of making a headless version of Squeak with minimal
footprint>>

I have been working on these approaches, but with substantially limited time
availability. The repackaging problem is the one that interests me the most. I
have loosely fashioned my own approach with a nice ponderous title "Smaller
than Thou talk." -- i.e. Sttt or St3 -- to keep the goal clear in my mind and
add a little sense of competitiveness to the challenge. I have gotten a
slightly "shrunk" PWS to work, and now starting to build a headless version,
using Dan Ingalls's prior work in this direction.

It seems somewhat distressing to me that the PWS works by executing Smalltalk
expressions from the Squeaki-Wiki pages, as that means that I could not shrink
the compiler out and be able to support it in its current fashion. For other
apps., even compiler may be shrunken out also.

Perhaps we should take attendance of those who are working on these lines, and
if there is enough interest set up appropriate communication mechanisms (like
a Swiki somewhere).

Jerry Archibald
System Objectives

(BTW, I believe we met at OOPSLA'97--for dinner at Embassy Suites)