ummm... morphic errors

SWallace scottw at wdi.disney.com
Thu Nov 19 20:54:39 UTC 1998

At 9:25 PM -0800 11/17/98, Ryan Davis wrote:
>"Sorry, for the moment you cannot tear off a new anonymous script for any
>instance of a uniclass other than the flagship instance. If this makes no
>sense to you, you surely got here in error"
>
>That is one of the better dialogs I've seen in a long time. :) So, anyone
>care to tell me what I did?

Ryan,

Well, gosh, I was wondering when that one would first surface!  It's been lurking there for more than six months.

As the jargon in the error message suggests, this stuff isn't ready for prime time yet.

The message came up because you had a morph that had been scripted; you then used the menu item "make another instance of me" to get a second instance of it; then you brought up a Viewer on that new instance; and finally you dragged a phrase from that new Viewer and tried to drop it.  Innocent enough!

  -- Scott

PS:  The strange error message cited will be gone from Squeak 2.3, and the sometimes-irrecoverable state that could ensue when the sequence is performed inside a Morphic project will also be fixed.  Thanks!

PPS: My first draft of a response to this was a full page of text describing in detail what "anonymous scripts", "uniclassees", and "flagship instances" were and explaining the dilemma for which the error message was a bailout.  On further review, it was obvious that such a response was not appropriate for the Squeak list.  However, anyone interested in knowing more about this stuff is welcome to email me privately and I'll be glad to forward the details.