some not-so-random questions

Jason Karney jason at netgenics.com
Mon Nov 2 16:58:44 UTC 1998

Hi,

I had a couple of misc. questions about Squeak, your answers are appreciated.

First, what is the latest and "official" version of the Win32 port of the VM? My
first download of Squeak 2.2 (as a complete zip archive) included a VM called
"SqueakBeta.exe." Then I got a distribution whose VM binaries are "Squeak.exe"
and the jitter version, "SqueakJ.exe" Then while browsing the Swikis this
morning, I saw a notice that Squeak for Win32 was going back to a single VM. So
you can understand my confusion... (and incidentally, SqueakBeta *seemed* to run
a little faster than SqueakJ)

Second, does anybody have any suggestions for optimizing Squeak running on a
90Mhz pentium laptop with 8M ram? Some operations (and morhpic in general) bog
the system down. I thought perhaps the vm has options to control initial memory
allocation, or some such things.

Thanks!

--
Jason Karney    <-  Advanced Technology Scientist
NetGenics, Inc.             [jason at netgenics.com]