Serious problem with Squeak 2.2 on Win NT

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 16 23:25:36 UTC 1998

David LeBlanc <whisper at accessone.com> wrote:
> Hi;
> Using the distribution binary (not one I built myself), Squeak, when idle,
> uses 100% of one of my dual Pentium Pro 200mhz processors. This is reported
> by the task manager. This seems continuous and I would think the MM would
> have scavenged  everything after some short time had passed.

First, you might be surprised.  Most apps simply don't take any CPU at all, and the worst that can happen anyway, is that the other things will run half as fast.  I think half a PPRo 200 would blow away my machine in its entirity, and I used to be fine running Squeak at 100% CPU all the time.  I actually didn't even notice it until I tried to play Quake--nothing else on here is that CPU intensive that it matters!

But that tirade aside, Squeak 2.2 should have built in CPU usage limitations, no matter how the VM is configured.  (not to say that VM tricks don't work!).  What if you go into a Morphic project--does the usage go down?

Also, do you have any menus up?  If a MVC menu is up, CPU goes to 100% no matter what.  (there's an easy duck-tape style of fix, but a clean fix is harder.  Cleanest of all is to just use Morphic, now that all the standard windows work in it).

Lex