Good Public Domain info for Squeaking

Augustin Mrazik amr at aitecon.sk
Thu Nov 12 23:47:08 UTC 1998

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Folks -
>
> I have in mind a couple of fun Squeak aps, but I'd like them not to rely one proprietry material.  So I would like to hear from anyone regarding
>
>         Maps, covering the US
>         Maps, covering the world....

At ArtInAppleS we have developed a full featured GIS technology in
PPS/PPD/OS VW in 1991-1997. Beside "standard" geometrical objects
(2-dimensional) and operation/relations on them it includes also
topological spaces for locating meaningful spatial objects and even
inheritance between the topological spaces. The topology is being
maintained on the fly upon change of spatial objects (e.g. their
movement or change of borders). Basicaly it enables a "normal"
real-world modeling of spatial and non-spatial things. Raster data (map
scans, remore sensing data) is also included and may be combined with
"vector" data (in fact, it's just a picture of an area which is
displayed in the coordinate system just as any other spatial object).

The applications of this technology had been GIS systems for
municipalities (towns, real estate, buildings, streets, taxation, ...)
and utilities (an asset management GIS system for Slovak Gas Industry).
The real databases are up to 1 GByte with several houndreds of thousands
of objects (pipelines, land parcels, ...).

I do not have any geographical data available which might be published.
But we have Arc/INFO as well as Microstation interface.

Any volunteer to port at least a part of the technology to Squeak ?

Anybody interested in OO GIS (I am looking for pen-friends ;-).

Augustin Mrazik

P.S. BTW, how about the database ?