squeak hogs memory on linux?

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 4 06:18:41 UTC 1998

Greg Lewin <greg at quokka.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> It's better on RedHat 5.1 and Squeak 2.2 (was 5.0 and 1.3), but I still
> get similar trouble if I click on one of the buttons in "play with me
> 4".

Sounds like a sound problem: those buttons trigger a sound.

The stock Unix VM doesn't support sound at all.  If you are using it, set "turn sound off" from the help menu.

However, I have written some basic support for sound in Linux.  It could use some work, but it does make the correct sounds come out.  This is at http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~lex/squeak/sound/.  However, it doesn't support "startPlayingImmediately", so you have to edit the startPlayingImmediately: in SoundPlayer and set "dontInsertSamples" to true instead of false.  (This should probably be made a preference.  Then again, someone should probably implement startPlayingImmediately on Linux!).  This is all explained step-by-step at the above URL, if you are willing to rebuild an image.

Then again this could be something else entirely.

Lex