Subsumption Architectures in Squeak

Jerome Garcia Jerome.Garcia at wj.com
Tue Oct 27 22:31:05 UTC 1998

     I strongly agree with the importance of this benefit. In my current
     work at Watkins-Johnson on semiconductor processing equipment software
     based on ControlWORKS, one of the major causes of thrashing has been
     the existence of some components which do not provide for adequate
     hardware simulation during development and debugging. Work on those
     modules that do provide support has been greatly aided by close to
     transparent simulation of I/O ports and hardware with the only changes
     necessary to switch between simulation and real world being a couple
     of changes to a configuration file. Actually, I would like it to go
     furthur and allow for switching in and out of simulation individual
     components on the fly to enable confidence testing prior to actual
     hardware action. As far as I know, ControlWORKS does not provide this
     capability.

     I really hope that such transparency is the result of your effort.

     Jerome

     --

     Jerome E. Garcia
     jegarcia at adventurousmind.com