new version of MophicWrappers

Gerardo Richarte gera at core-sdi.com
Tue Oct 6 23:15:26 UTC 1998

Daniel said:

> Some rough edges I want to jot down before I get too used to them (or
> I wouldn't be a good beta tester, would I?)-
>
>    * The actions required to talk to Morphs are difficult (you have to
>      go through a menu). As we agree, simplify and merge with UI for
>      MWs.

    I wanted to use Morph's and Wrapper's menues also... something has
to be done, but we still don't find how to do it.
    You suggested using shift, cmd, etc. as the key to different levels
of interaction, but what can be done in a Mac, for example, where the
mouse has only one button, and this keys are already used? (to turn
halos on, for example)

>    * An object can have arguments, and you can see they have them, but
>      you can't see what they are and in what order. Coolest solution -
>      insert short string representation of arguments into the message
>      names

    Very good idea!    and together with this, only one menu mechanism
will be implemented as you said: If you have saved arguments, you'll
always get the proper menu.

>    * Sometimes, i see "ghosts" of old balloonMorphs. they show up when
>      I delete things or close MVC windows over the Morph world.

    Already fixed, along with a fix in keyboardFocus change.

>    * When you drag around an ellipse with satellites you sometimes
>      leave traces of the satellite around.

    Is this with your version of Satellites or with our? This is usually
produced with a submorph being drawn outsinde owner's bounds.

>      Want to see more nice update bugs? use the RegularPolygon
>      example. Give it a line width of 78 or so (big).

    This is the same problem: drawing outside morph's bounds... can be
fixed (in RegularPolygonMorphicWrapper) by expanding it's bounds
according to line width, but I'll leave it simple, I think.

>    * I've looked at the way the MorphicWrapper class is built, and I
>      see a few interesting things. There are a lot of delegation
>      methods, some of which are very simple. Why have an "objectClass"
>      (for example) method?

    Well this message is needed bye ClassWrapper (yeah!): Leandro
Caniglia and Valeria Murgia are working on this (otgether with
MethodWrapper) they said: "We are, almost, no longer using Browsers"
This will be realeased with MorphicWrappers next time, but I can ask
them for a beta version if somebody wants it.

>    *  The selector list is created on the fly, whenever something is
>      dropped on a MW. Doesn't seem to hurt responsiveness on my
>      machine, but it's something to consider.

    Well, this is a must, as a method can be created anytime, and you
don't know when this happens... unless you get insde Class and Behaviour
classes, what I think we don't want to do...

>    * However, detect: can be used instead of collect: when checking
>      whether there are any selectors with the specific of args.
>      objectSelectorsForArguments: is one example of a delegation
>      method that seems more encumbering than helpful.

    Let us check this when menus for doubleClick and droppingMorphs are
joined, this may change...

> A cool direction to take this would be to make it more useful in
> writing code. I'm think of either logging messages sent to some kind
> of transcript, or creating a kind of codepane that interacts with the
> WrappedObjects. Some ideas in this direction are below, in my first
> message.

    I have an idea on this, I sent it to sugar (Smalltalk list in
spanish), I'll forward it to you (Daniel) [I don't have time to
translate it right now]

> * An optional stack that, if it exists, is the default target for
> results. (I'd put it down the right
> edge of the world).

> * A graphic representation of variables known in the WrapperWorld. (A
> list down the left side? maybe boxes with values or arrows to them?)

    Why not a Graph? this is already implemented, and will be included
in next version...

> * A recorder that once turned on notices what I'm doing and creates an
> equivalent code snippet, or
> some other representation of the process that can be then run step by
> step.

    A lot of things need to be solved for this, what about arguments?
and arguments' messages?

> Sorry list, I'm having problems sending this directly to Gerardo. Read
> or ignore as you please.

    I didn't get the mails you sent directly to me, don't know why...
(what address are you using?)

    Long Bye!
    Richie++