Squeak for Win32 and long file names

Jesse Welton jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Tue Oct 20 16:10:07 UTC 1998

The Win32 download information says the Win32 version of Squeak will
not work with Windows 3.1 because of the lack of long filename
support.  I know some of the dependence on long file names is in the
image, where I can cheerfully modify it; but is it all confined to the
image, or is some of that dependence compiled into the VM?  Also, is
the lack of long file support the only things that would cause a
problem running the Win32 VM under Windows 3.11 (with 32 bit support)?
I'd rather not try to hack the VM at this point in my career.

I've played around with the DOS port, but I'd like to be able to use
some Windows capabilities like networking.  For historical reasons, my
work computers still run (and will likely continue to run) Windows
3.11 for Workgroups.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Jesse Welton

I jammed my mouse in the drawer with an ever-so-crisp squeaking sound.