Bug compressing changes (Mac 2.2)

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sat Oct 17 19:14:25 UTC 1998

I tried to compress my changes under 2.2 for the first time and crashed into MacsBug when trying to rename the current changes file to xxx.old. Further testing revealed that the bug occurred when the size of the new FULL file name was 45 bytes or greater. My suspicion is that somewhere (C library? MacOS?) something is assuming simple file names rather than full path names and wrote past the end of an array. By shortening the name of my Squeak folder, I was able to condense successfully. This is with MacOS 8, btw.

Cheers,
Bob