help needed attributing a quote

Helge Horch hhorch at wuerzburg.netsurf.de
Thu Oct 22 21:45:09 UTC 1998

Hi all,

a friend of mine intends to use one of my favourite quotes for a paper:

"Programming with objects is like working with trained animals,
 instead of pushing around data with a broom."

Since I was the one who mentioned it to him, my friend now demands a clear
attribution. 8-)

I *think* it was Alan Kay, and I *had* thought it was somewhere in either
the 1981 BYTE, the Dynabook papers, Green Book, ThingLab paper, etc. I have
now leaved through many pages - I can't find it.

So: Is the quote accurate? Alan's? Dan's? (Too bad you're all at OOPSLA
now...) Where might I have read it?

Desperately yours,
Helge

P.S. This is for a Forth paper. Curiously, while not being a new concept
for the Forth community, OOP (OOF) is constantly rediscovered.