Line Feeds and Formatting

Travis Griggs tgriggs at keyww.com
Tue Sep 29 18:37:53 UTC 1998

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Here are two further thoughts about prettyPrinting...
>
> 1.  In the process of tuning the formatting parameters, it would not be that hard to make a simple UI so that anyone could tune the prettyPrinter to their favorite conventions.
>
> 2.  If we made the prettyPrinter good enough that everyone preferred it, or liked it equally, then we could greatly compress the system sources by only saving temp names and comments.
>
> If anyone wants to take on prettyPrinting as a project, send me a message offline, and I'll coordinate so we work together and don't duplicate effort.

Thanks Dan. I would personally like to see the formatter used by the RefactoringBrowser employed in Squeak. I would offer to port it, but I think others are already, I've done it once before (for ST/X), and I'm busy trying to get this Double Dispatching/Numeric Collections stuff done. The RB formatter was very educational for me because it had a pretty strict embodiment of some of the patterns found in the
Gang-o-Four book. I also like that approach, because it sets a standard for ST code formatting between VW, Squeak, VSE, and others (I think a Dolphin port is under way).

--
Travis Griggs
Key Technology
tgriggs at keyww.com
Member, Fraven Skreiggs Software Collective
Status Quo Is Your Enemy