Base image

Gerardo Richarte (CORE-SDI) richie at securenetworks.com
Tue Sep 1 19:51:19 UTC 1998

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Travis Griggs wrote:

> Gerardo Richarte (CORE-SDI) wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Doug Way wrote:
> >
> > > Still, after playing around with Squeak for a few months, there are some
> > > things I'd like to see moved to the base image.  Something
> >
> >         I'd like to see WeakArrays and swAPIs moved to the base image, mostly becouse they need VM recompilation. I think that sqAPIs portability should be checked befor moving it into the base image. I've been working on it myself, but I found some p
roblems I c
> > ouldn't deal with beacouse I needed more time than what I had... too sad...
>
> I am not a VM hacker, but does the VM have to be architected as a single executable program? Why can't the very core of the Smalltalk, messaging, be put into a single executable program, and then have the other parts loaded as DLLs/plugins. Then only po
rtions of the
> VM need to be recompiled. Part of what would be necessary would be for primitive calls to be "doubly dimensioned", i.e. a primitive indicates both the primitive number AND the module. I would think this would make the VM much more scalable. I would argu
e for a break

	Actually, this is what sqAPIs are for. You have <c: 'gethostbyname' struct struct> added to <primitive:> mechanism. This functions can be in a .DLL (Windows) or a library in UNIX and something else in Mac (I don't know what).
	And the other, WeakArrays, I'm not sure if they can be moved to a DLL.

	Movable Bye!
	Richie++