Could somebody help a newbie please?

Andreas Dieberger adieber at emory.edu
Thu Sep 3 04:15:25 UTC 1998

Hi list,

I'm risking here to embarrass myself... so here we go.

I'm trying to teach myself Smalltalk / Squeak from books and from whatever
I can get my hands on on the Web. I use mainly Winston's "On to Smalltalk"
and also have the Hopkins + Horan book and Smalltalk-80, the language.

I made pretty good progress so far (I think) but I don't seem to be able to
crack the mystery of Views, Controlles, Windows etc. Every one of the three
books I have is based on a different Smlltalk and seems to describe
completely different classes, and I couldn't find those in Squeak.

>From what I see on the Web and and in Squeak itself, Morphic is practically
still undocumented, so I thought I just try to fiddle with the
'oldfashioned' way first, but I don't seem to be able to figure that one
out either. My code reading skills are far from the point where I can learn
what I have to do just from poking around with the system browser...

So is there any help for me? Could anybody point me to a few (simple,
please) code snippets that show me the basics? Or is there some info on the
Web or in the system that gives me a quick intro into this matter?

Thanks a lot and sorry to send such a newbie question into a list that
normally is concerned with much more advanced issues... (is there a
smalltalk newbie list anywhere...? It seems also that Emory.edu doesn't
carry any of the smalltalk newsgroups :(( )

Andreas