Scientific Computing

Leandro Caniglia caniglia at dm.uba.ar
Tue Sep 1 20:39:14 UTC 1998

>I know that there are folks out there doing Math in Squeak- I'd be
>interested in seeing how they approach this, and hearing whether they
>feel if this is an issue or not.

Performance is only an issue in some branches of Mathematics, like
algorithmic, complexity or numerical analysis. We are not  interested in
doing long
calculations, we are using Squeak to think and understand mathematical
concepts.

Of course, we compute some calculations, but they are simple; as simple as
the examples that a mathematician tries when she is considering some
interesting question. In mathematics, a simple example may enclose ideas
that are hard to understand. On the other hand, a hard computation may be
trivial.

I'm not saying that we are not interested in finding the way to do long
calculations easier or faster (i.e., to develop better algorithms), I'm only
saying that we are not interested in doing long computations. To face the
problems found in specialties like complexity and numerical analysis, you
still must understand concepts, not perform long calculations.

The important point is that Squeak and Morphic fit exactly in our work.
(BTW, I'm just beginning to write my manuscripts and classroom notes in
BookMorphs, and I am discovering the beauty and power of having mathematical
objects living around the same pages where the definitions and theorems
they illustrate are written. It's exciting.)

Saludos,
Leandro