Base image, - about Cheese porting

Russell Allen Russell.Allen at FirebirdMedia.com
Fri Sep 4 21:22:02 UTC 1998

At 03:35 AM 4/9/98 +0300, you wrote:
>Joerg,
>
>> And I guess, a OS/2 to
>> Win32 port is easier than a OS/2 to Unix port.
>
>No no no because you have descent Unix development tools
>on OS/2, but you can't easily cross-develop from OS/2 to Windows.
>The matter I'm looking at porting Cheese to Win32 is that I
>feel there would be higher demand in that than Cheese for Unix
>(plus, we all know what Win32 is, but which Unix GUI framework?
>MoreOrLessTif? pure X11? gtk? qt?)
>
>Boris

Have you considered using a cross-development C/C++ library to help
porting?  One of the best (and free) ones is wxWindows, which is at:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/julian.smart/wxwin/

wxWindows is available for Windows, Mac, Motif, XView, Xt and OS/2.  A
major rewrite is being undertaken to move the library to GTK.

"wxWindows is a class library that allows you to compile graphical C++
programs on a range of different platforms. wxWindows defines a common API
across platforms, but uses the native graphical user interface (GUI) on
each platform, so your program will take on the native 'look and feel' that
users are familiar with." - wxWindows Homepage

If you used it, then the cross-platform part of Cheese will have been
already done, and you can concentrate on the fun part - integrating native
windows with Morphic :-)

IMHO this might make the job of creating Cheese much easier...

cheers,

Russell

Russell Allen
russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com

Random Quote: "We make guilty of our disasters the sun,
the moon and the stars; as if we were villians by necessity,
fools by heavenly compulsion." Shakespeare, King Lear.