FTP url format??

John-Reed Maffeo rlpa80 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Sep 16 15:36:27 UTC 1998

Ted K. wrote:

> Folks,
>         I'd like to know the answer to this question.  In Fetch or FTP you can send commands separately to get ready to read files:
>
> host:   shell.webpage.com
> user ID: kaehler2
> password: xxxxx
> directory: public_html/updates
>
> But, suppose you want to encode this in a url (for use in Netscape):
>
>         ftp://kaehler2@shell.webpage.com/public_html/updates
>
> The problem is whether "public_html/updates" is absolute or not.  It happens to be relative to the directory for kaehler2.
>
> But suppose I want to get a file from a directory and I know the complete path.  How to do I encode this in a url?
>
>         ftp://kaehler2@shell.webpage.com/drive1/usr/kaehler2/public_html/updates
>
> Is there an existing convention for this?  What goes between the '.com' and the 'drive1' to indicate an absolute path?  The above gives an error, since the directory kaehler2 does not have a subdirectory called drive1.
>
> What do other systems do to indicate an absolute ftp url?

Ted, what you are seeing is the result of the ftp server setup on your
machine. The first example that
you give is an absolute address >> per the ftp server configuration <<.

The ftp server is configured seperately from the OS file system.
Kaehler2 is the root of the ftp server.

What are your using for an FTP server? I used Netpresenz in my last job
and I know how to wrangle it
pretty well.

John-Reed

ps in the url is it drive1(one) or drivel(el) ??