Base image, Windows look

Kevin Fisher kfisher at rim.net
Tue Sep 1 15:04:28 UTC 1998

Brian Klump <klumpba at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I must have missed the annoucement of Chesse 5.
> > Is there already someone working on  a Unix port ?
> > I would prefer some free alternative to Motif.
> > Gtk for example (www.gtk.org) is getting very popular these days.
> >

> I wonder, would something like wxWindows be a viable alternative to
> Tcl/Tk?  I'm not sure offhand if it has Mac support though.  :/  Also,
> Lesstif has come along significantly...so maybe a Motif port wouldn't
> necessarily be a bad thing.  Just some ideas...btw, I think Cheese
> looks really impressive.
>
> -Brian
>
> Go Smalltalk!

Actually, there is a 'free' implimentation of Motif being made...check out
www.hungry.org.  It's called Lesstif.  It isn't at the '1.0' level yet, but it
is shaping up very fast.  Motif programs like Mosaic and XEphem compile and
run great at this point, and I hear that Mozilla even compiles and runs
(albeit with segfaults here and there).

However I'm not a fan of Motif, free or otherwise...I'd also like to second a
call for using GTK.  It may not be as 'rich' as motif, but it is shaping up
quite well and is under constant development these days. The Qt widgets are
also quite nice, although controvercial since they are not 'technically' free.
The Qt widgets have the added benefit of being available for X11 and for
Win32, however.

Personally I don't mind the 'single window' environment of Squeak....although
having native widget support might be useful for stand-alone programs.  Heck
having an option do do it either way would be nice!

(just my humble 0x02...)