ANSI compatibility

Pennell's pennell at tiac.net
Mon Sep 28 12:00:01 UTC 1998

Dan Ingalls has comitted to work with the Squeak community to incorporate a "Top 10 list of features
to aid porting from other dialects" into Squeak.

I'm soliciting ideas about what should be on the list and and code/volunteers to implement the
feature.

I think we should favor ANSI compatibility, but as stated above, the primary goal is to make porting
code from other dialects as painless as possible.

Please send me your responses OFFLINE to pennell at tiac.net and I'll publish a summary on the list.

I'll start with my list:

1.  Exceptions
       VSExceptions and a PPS exceptions package are both available on the net.
        Comments on applicability?  How do we accomadate the two popular models?
2.  Finalization
        Andreas Raab has code (changes VM) for WeakArrays at his site.  This is planned
        for inclusion in Squeak 2.3.  What else do we need here?
3.  Block Closures
        There has been lots of discussion about this on the list.  Rumor has it that somebody
        has done most/all of the work.
4.  Reserved values in literal arrays  (#nil or nil)
        #(nil true false) should return an array with instances of UndefinedValue, True and False

-david