Toward a great Mini Squeak for PDA's

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Fri Sep 25 03:51:31 UTC 1998

Mike -

>* As you know, the work in my group is (not yet) focused on Win-CE devices.
>So I'd like to exercise your builds on Palm OS devices and some
>experimental hardware that we have.

I will mainly be focussed on producing a clean image.  I'm assuming others will do their favorite VM ports.

>* With respect to the porting (handwritten C) code, will your target be the
>Mac?  That is, for each version of your Mini-Squeak, will we have the
>equivalent of the SqMinimal.c file that John Maloney produced several
>months ago?

Until there's a Mac PDA, I would say the focus will be entirely on OTHER platforms.  Hopefully the VM porters will share their porting kernels.

>* I hope there will be some configuration options.  For example, we'd like
>to leave the networking code in our builds.

I probably won't have time to do this.  I'm hoping to leave a process in place that does a great job of extreme shrinking.  It should not be hard for you then to back off from that position.  I'm sure others would be interested in what you do with that.

	- Dan