squeak.ini and jitter

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Wed Sep 30 20:32:04 UTC 1998

Mark Wai wrote:

> I just noticed that in the new distribution of Squeak V2.2, it carries an
> extra .ini file.  Is there anything that we need to care about or know
> about?  I don't find any mentioning of this new .ini in the readme file.

So far as I know, the squeak.ini file is specific to the Win32 VMs --
the VMs create it automatically to save the VM preferences (basically
things that are being handled external of the image).

> Also, I don't see the jitter anywhere.  Is it recommended to use V2.1 Jitter
> VM on V2.2 image?

Just running Squeak and browsing around should be OK, but I wouldn't
recommend doing any serious development using it (and I wouldn't do any
updates using it) -- there is a bug in its cacheing of class structure
such that redefining a class with a number of subclasses can cause it to
crash. [Ian Piumarta is using his time to create a totally new JitterII
(which should give a much more substantial performance increase than
Jitter did) instead of chasing this problem.]

-- Dwight