Does Squeak include a generic node class?

Jerome Garcia Jerome.Garcia at wj.com
Wed Sep 23 17:38:04 UTC 1998

     Apparently some of my responses related to the posts on this subject
     disappeared into the bit bucket. I apologize.

     Here is a summary of my responses. Please do not take my question as a
     complaint. I was simply thinking about implementation of something
     similar to the following hierarchy which was useful in the past:

       TreeNode
         Expression
           RelationalDatabaseExpression
             SQLExpression
               SQLRequest
                 SQLSelectStatement
                 SQLUpdateStatement
                 SQLInsertStatement
               SQLClause
                 SQLInsert
                 SQLSelect
                 SQLUpdate
                 SQLFrom
                 SQLWhere
                 SQLHaving
                 SQLOrderBy
                 .
                 .
                 .

     And so forth down to the lowest level SQL primitives since everything
     in SQL is an expression. If there is a better way of representing the
     above, I would love to know.

     I can understand the difficulty of getting general agreement on how
     best to design and implement a base class for all uses. Was this
     caused by fundamental differences on the most primitive uses or
     because there was a desire to do too much in such a base class?

     I will definitely take a look at TreeWorks80.

     Thanks for your responses.

     Jerome

     jegarcia at adventurousmind.com