Toward a great Mini Squeak for PDA's

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Thu Sep 24 20:26:46 UTC 1998

Brian -

>I have a port of the 1.2VM that runs on the NEC MobilePro 700 in 8mb (4+4)
>under CE 2.0 (which uses a similar MIPS R4000
>family CPU to the one used in theCassiopeias).  It almost certainly will run
>in much less than 8mb, but I haven't needed to try that.
>I can post that version to the UIUC archive if there is any interest.
>My hunch is that it would come up on something like the Casio E-10
>out-of-the-box.

Well, it would seem that the best way to approach this is as a matrix of versions and machines.
We probably should make a directory item Squeak For PDAs, that would include
    Squeak For PDAs
        ReadMe.txt
        MiniSqueak1.2
            image and changes for Sq1.2
            VMs for Sq1.2
        MiniSqueak2.2
            image and changes for Sq2.2
            VMs for Sq2.2
The ReadMe file would list a bunch of available PDAs, giving for each the files needed to run Squeak 1.2 or 2.2 or both, and a few notes about installation and any UI quirks (such as Pen behavior, command keys, etc).

I will start by setting up the directories, and moving the existing Squeak1.2CE.zip to the appropriate place, and assembling what documentation there is to go with it.

Then you can try that with your VM.  If it works, send me the VM, and installation info, and I'll put them on the server.

Your 1.2 VM may run a 2.2 image as well.  I am astounded to find that my 1.21d VM from over a year ago will run the Squeak 2.2 release (it must be decompressing compressed fonts without primitive assistance, but i can't tell ;-).  I'll put out a 2.2 image as soon as we have done one pass of error-proofing and improved shrinking -- probably next week.

Thanks
	- Dan