Base image, - about Cheese porting

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Fri Sep 4 05:20:08 UTC 1998

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Boris G. Chr. Shingarov wrote:

> Cheese was designed with portability in mind.  We're talking
> with several guys about such porting (e.g. to Win32 - with
> Joerg Brunsmann), but the current status of Cheese is such
> that it's hard to collaborate on this right now, and I'm
> pushing it as best as I can towards being accessible by
> folks on other platforms.  I think the way how that can
> be done would be to return to a Cheese4-like image having
> 'dual interface' (i.e. with both BitBlt and native windowing).
> We'll see where this leads :-)

Well, I'm sure that if/when a Win32 port is done there will be a lot of
folks trying it out & making fixes and enhancements.  (Not that I'm a
Windows fanatic... I use an SGI at work and a Mac at home.  But a Win32
port would give Cheese the exposure that it needs.)

I'm not familiar with the Cheese versions, but it sounds like Cheese4 is
the general setup I was talking about with native windows and non-native
(BitBlt) widgets.  It does sound like (from people who've tried it) that
native windows is probably too drastic a change to try to implement in the
base Squeak image/VM, so go Cheese!  (of course, a native widget version
of Cheese would be great, too)

I may still try to implement a Windows-look set of Morphic widgets as a
project... true, it will probably be impossible to get the "feel" exactly
the same (given the nature of Squeak), but at least I can shoot for the
"look".  This might be a nice complement to native-windows Cheese UI
development tool set.

- Doug Way
  dway at mat.net
  dway at transom.com