DaFuture (was Re: nil or #nil?)

Joe Davison jwdavison at lucent.com
Fri Sep 25 13:16:16 UTC 1998

R. A. Harmon said:

> I am truly and cruelly torn between having a free, user-supported,
> reasonably compliant Smalltalk to leverage off the tools all ready
> available and a way to exchange code between dialects, and having an
> exquisite personal computing environment that is absolutely required to
> be able to handle the ocean of information available.

> Is there any way to build the future on top of a compatible Squeak
> Smalltalk?  If the future vision fulfills its promise, I think (naive
> hope?)  other Smalltalk dialects will adopt it.
>
> I want the future and I want portability.  Anybody have the email address
> of the Language Fairie that handles the granting of diametrically opposed
> wishes?

Why shouldn't we be able to have both?   If we pass pause at some
point and spin off a branch, we could generate an ansi-compliant, stable
version that sits on the server waiting to be downloaded, and a
free-soaring (or should that be free-SOARing?  (Smalltalk On A
RISC^H^H^Hampage?) ) evolving development system.

One interesting aspect of evolving systems is that they tend to
differentiate to fill suitable niches.  Has anyone else read "After Man"?
-- Squeak might become "After Smalltalk" ...

joe