Scrolling Preferences

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Tue Apr 27 04:28:46 UTC 1999

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Georg Gollmann wrote:

> Since the the preferences control panel has outgrown my screen I have
> made it scrolling. See
> http://macos.tuwien.ac.at/Squeak/ScrollingPrefs.st.

Looks good!  It was getting too tall for me, too...

(Eventually, it would be nice for the preferences panel to be grouped
somehow, with a notebook widget for example.  I guess someone needs to
create a notebook widget first, though, or some other clever grouping
widget.)

> In the process a question arose: Is ScrollPane intended to be an
abstract
> superclass or not. If not the "extent:" method probably should include a
> "setScrollDeltas" call (my solution, PluggableListMorph>extent: could be
> yanked), otherwise an additional subclass would be necessary.

This issue is due to the sized scrollbar change I made (which was added to
the base image a couple of months ago), which required that
setScrollDeltas be called from the various extent: methods.  Basically, I
sort of assumed ScrollPane was an abstract superclass, but now that I
think about it, there's no reason that it must be abstract.

You're right, ScrollPane>>extent: should include a call to
"setScrollDeltas", and PluggableListMorph>>extent: should be removed.  I
would go ahead and change the file-in on your webspace to remove
PluggableListMorph>>extent:, so if the Squeak Team decides to incorporate
your scrollable prefs change, they will get that fix as well.  (Even if
they don't add your change, the change to Scrollpane>>extent: and the
removal of PluggableListMorph>>extent: should still be made.)

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technogies, Ann Arbor, MI
  dway at eai.com, dway at mat.net
  http://www.transom.com