Can Squeak create sound files??

Andreas Dieberger adieber at emory.edu
Mon Apr 19 15:52:54 UTC 1999

>The 2.4 release includes a method for writing out '.aif' files.
>I think I know where to get some '.wav' file output code.
>
>Will those two formats suffice? Is there any desire for Squeak
>to be able to output .au files? Does anyone have any code to
>contribute?

Hi,

thanks for that info. I guess I'll have to finally bring my modified Swiki
up to a newer version of Squeak :) (It doesn't run on 2.3 right now).

Concerning my own needs: any file format that has good compression and
quality and can be played in a standard Web browser is all I need. The main
argument for .au files would be that Java (till vs. 1.2) can play only
AudioClips of that format. And there are even restrictions: Java 1.0 (and
1.1) handle only 8bit, uLaw encoded, 8000Hz, single channel .au files.

So .au output in that format might be useful, although the quality is
pretty low.

Andreas