Running Squeak on Linux

Ivan Brusic ivan at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 6 02:16:12 UTC 1999

Hello fellow squeakers,

I am unable to run Squeak on Linux.  There are two different errors which
I get when trying to run Squeak:

1) When using Ian's precompiled VM (SqueakVM-2.3-i386-linux-2.0.36) or
   using my own compiled VM (with the lastest sources) I get the following
   error:
   This visual class is not supported

2) When using Ian's other precompiled VM (SqueakVM-2.3-i386-linux-2.1.24)
   I get the following the following error:
   Could not open the Squeak image file 'squeak.image'.

   The file does exist and is correct.  I have attempted to use relative
   and absolute paths (./squeak.image or /usr/local/squeak/squeak.image),
   but these attempts also do not work.

  Lex Spoon and I have noticed this behavior on Suns (running Solaris),
  but after several attempts, we manage to get those VMs to work.

Has anyone come across this behavior?  I would really to run Squeak,
especially since I run only Linux nowadays (aka I corrupted my Windows
partition :) )

My system is a PII 300 running SuSE 6.0 with the 2.2.4 kernel and glibc.

Thanks in advance!

Ivan

--

Ivan Brusic                        |  "Computers are nothing but a perfect
Graduate Student                   |   illusion of order" - Iggy Pop